Valley Soup is a microfunding dinner inspired by both the original Detroit Soup and the former Warren Soup and Youngstown Soup events. In conjunction with Giving Tuesday (a global day of giving the Tuesday after Thanksgiving), the Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley is putting on this event to spark and fund innovative projects that will benefit the Mahoning Valley.
Congratulations, to Allison Smith from Shepherd of All God’s Children on winning the inaugural Valley Soup!
From the four organizations that pitched their projects on #GivingTuesday, Allison received the most votes from attendees and took home the $620 collected at the door and an additional $1000 grant from the Community Foundation. Allison will use the money from Valley Soup to make comfort blankets for children going into foster care, and we look forward to hearing about the progress of her project at future Soup events!
ABC Diamond Girls, LitYoungstown and YSUscape were the other presenters of the evening.
Check out our Facebook photo album to see more from the inaugural event. Thank you to Sarah J. Lowry and Phil Kidd for capturing some of the evening’s memorable moments.
How Does Valley Soup Work?
Valley Soup 2018 is over, but below is how the event works. We’ll be posting information here about future Soup events, so be sure to check back in 2019!
- Attendees pay $5.00 at the door and receive a ballot. There are no tickets or advanced reservations.
- Everyone listens to four (4) presentations, limited to four (4) minutes each.
- Guests have the opportunity to ask questions of each presenter for two (2) minutes.
- After the presentations, everyone eats soup, salad, and bread (included in the $5.00 entry fee), while socializing and discussing the four (4) proposals.
- During dinner, each attendee votes on their favorite presentation.
- Volunteers tally the votes and the evening’s winner gets the cash collected at the door to carry out their project.
- For additional details: Valley Soup Event Overview and FAQ
How Are Projects Funded?
The winning presenter receives all of the proceeds collected the evening of the event, as well as any outside matching dollars secured before Valley Soup, to carry out their project. If you can’t attend, but want to help fund a creative initiative in your community, consider making a contribution to the event! Any money raised outside of the event entrance fees will be used for event costs or else will go to the winning presenter for their project.
- Donate Online (credit card): Make a secure online donation through the below PayPal link:
- Donate by Mail (check): Include “Valley Soup” on the memo line and mail to:
Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley
201 East Commerce Street, Suite 150
Youngstown, OH 44503