Valley Soup is a microfunding dinner inspired by both the original Detroit Soup and the former Warren Soup and Youngstown Soup events. In conjunction with Giving Tuesday (a global day of giving the Tuesday after Thanksgiving), the Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley is putting on this event to spark and fund innovative projects that will benefit the Mahoning Valley.
How Does Valley Soup Work?
- Attendees pay $5.00 at the door and receive a ballot. There are no tickets or advanced reservations.
- Everyone listens to four (4) presentations, limited to four (4) minutes each.
- Guests have the opportunity to ask questions of each presenter for two (2) minutes.
- After the presentations, everyone eats soup, salad, and bread (included in the $5.00 entry fee), while socializing and discussing the four (4) proposals.
- During dinner, each attendee votes on their favorite presentation.
- Volunteers tally the votes and the evening’s winner gets the cash collected at the door to carry out their project.
Who Should Apply?
This competitive microfunding event is open to tax-exempt organizations under Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) or that operate under the fiscal sponsorship of a tax-exempt nonprofit, including schools, churches, and public organizations.*
Typical funding ranges from $400-$1200, and effective proposals will demonstrate an ability to complete the project within that range of resources or else with leveraged dollars from outside sources. Proposed projects can address any issue, as long as it benefits the Mahoning Valley (Trumbull and Mahoning Counties), so feel free to pitch an idea around health, art and culture, education, sports, social enterprise, urban agriculture, or anything else you think would be good for our community!
*If you are an individual or group with an idea but you are not a registered 501(c)(3) organization and do not have a committed fiscal sponsor, please contact CFMV staff to discuss your project and the possibility of the foundation connecting you with a willing fiscal agent.
How to Apply
From the pool of proposals, four applicants will be selected to present their ideas at Valley Soup, a Giving Tuesday Microfunding Dinner on Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
Application Deadline: October 12, 2018
- Valley Soup Proposal Guidelines and Application (WORD)
Trouble accessing the Word application form? Get the PDF version here.
- Valley Soup Event Overview and FAQ
How Are Projects Funded?
The winning presenter receives all of the proceeds collected the evening of the event, as well as any outside matching dollars secured before Valley Soup, to carry out their project. If you can’t attend, but want to help fund a creative initiative in your community, consider making a contribution to the event! Any money raised outside of the event entrance fees will be used for event costs or else will go to the winning presenter for their project.
- Donate Online (credit card): Make a secure online donation through the below PayPal link:
- Donate by Mail (check): Include “Valley Soup” on the memo line and mail to:
Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley
201 East Commerce Street, Suite 150
Youngstown, OH 44503