The Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley announced today that $379,430 in grants and distributions were awarded following their first grant cycle of 2017.
The funds include $76,000 in grants to 11 nonprofit organizations in Mahoning and Trumbull counties that submitted requests through the Community Foundation’s online grantmaking process. The remaining $303,430 was distributed outside of the grant process at the recommendation of advisors to component funds of the Community Foundation.
The largest grant was $12,500 to Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation for its Glenwood Neighbors Initiative. Funded by The Collier Endowment Fund and Kennedy Family Fund, this project seeks to improve the quality of life, safety, walkability, public health and perception of the distressed Glenwood Avenue corridor to foster reinvestment and economic opportunity.
The Young Women’s Christian Association of Warren Ohio received $12,000 in support of its Girls’ STEAM Camp from the Kennedy Family Fund and Ralph E. and Esther K. Meacham Memorial Fund. The camp, running from July to August, focuses on science, technology, engineering, arts and math for middle school girls.
The following were additional grants made by one or more component fund of the Community Foundation:
- $10,000 to Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland, Inc. for Room Sponsorships for Mahoning Valley residents (First Place Community Fund and Kennedy Family Fund)
- $10,000 to Mahoning Valley College Access Program, Inc. for the MVCAP College Guides High School Program (First Place Community Fund and Kennedy Family Fund)
- $7,500 to Youngstown State University Regional Economic Development Initiative for their Innovative Plan for Leveraging Arts Through Community Engagement (INPLACE) project (The Collier Endowment Fund and Kennedy Family Fund)
- $6,000 to The Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges, Inc. to provide scholarships through the First Place Community Fund Scholarship Program to Mahoning and Trumbull county students (First Place Community Fund)
- $5,000 to East Side Organization Project, Inc. for their Senior Financial Empowerment Initiative (Kennedy Family Fund)
- $5,000 to National Inventors Hall of Fame, Inc. for Camp Invention summer STEM program for underserved Mahoning Valley children (Kennedy Family Fund)
- $4,000 to Making Kids Count, Inc. to provide Mahoning and Trumbull County Comfort Kits (Young Philanthropist Fund)
- $3,000 to Trumbull Neighborhood Partnership for Building a Better Warren Community Projects (Kennedy Family Fund)
- $1,000 to Boardman Township Park to support their Adventure Day Camp (Kennedy Family Fund)
The beneficiaries of the $303,430 in distributions are listed below:
- Neil Kennedy Recovery Clinic
- Boardman Local Schools
- Columbiana County Community Foundation
- Mahoning Valley Historical Society
- Champion Schools
- Edward Church
- Diocese of Youngstown
- Trumbull Family Fitness
- Youngstown State University Foundation
- Youngstown Cityscape, Inc.
- Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley
The Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley is a leader and advocate for strategic philanthropy, partnering with donors to anchor a permanent and growing endowment and making investments in the Mahoning Valley that improve the quality of life for all residents. The Foundation and its affiliates hold more than $56 million in assets and dispersed over $1.3 million in grants and distributions in 2016. The Community Foundation is the only local foundation with certification from the Community Foundation National Standards Board.